Sports Excellence develops scientific support methods and consultative interventions for talented young athletes (assessment of performance, health records, monitoring, counselling) with a view to their ongoing evolution into elite sport athletes. To this end, it cooperates with the Hellenic Olympic Committee (H.O.C.), national federations, associations and municipalities.
- It has been a sport performance center, member of the World Association of Sport Performance Centers, ASPC) since 2017.
- Sports Excellence also supports therapeutic exercise programmes for the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases at all ages with a view to improving people’s (special populations’) living conditions.
- West Attica project: Prevention and health promotion for pupils of West Attica primary schools. Prevention of obesity and spinal cord problems, improvement of physical abilities.
- Preschool programme for assessment of motor and learning difficulties, as well as in-service training and evaluation of teachers.
- Vulnerable groups: Exercise programmes for patients with diabetes mellitus, heart failure, neoplastic diseases, neurodegenerative diseases, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, osteoporosis and mental disorders at Attiko Hospital, at Stavros Niarchos Foundation Cultural Center, at Open Care Centers for the Elderly (KAPI) of Attica, on islands and in remote regions of mainland Greece.
- Sports for All: Exercise for children with mental and motor disability in nursery and special needs schools.
- Boosts cooperation and the exchange of scientific knowledge with academic and research institutions in Greece and abroad for the purpose of exchange and dissemination of expertise and applications.
- Promotes basic and applied research for recording, assessment and provision of consultative interventions for elite sport athletes, athletes at grassroots and amateur level and vulnerable groups. Participates in planning and implementing postgraduate and doctoral dissertations, giving students the opportunity to practice the theory regarding athletic performance and improvement in the health of the exercising population. Communicates with the scientific community through papers presented at conferences and in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
Sports Excellence operates under the scientific supervision of the 1st Orthopedic Clinic of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (UoA).
The programme is implemented with the exclusive financial support of Stavros Niarchos Foundation (SNF).
Do you want to learn more about Sports Excellence?
Visit our homepage
National and Kapodistrian University of Athens (UoA)
1st Orthopedic Clinic, Medical School
Sport Medicine Unit – Sports Excellence
Scientific Coordinator of the 1st Orthopedic Clinic: Panagiotis Papangelopoulos
Director of the 1st Orthopedic Clinic of the Medical School of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
Scientific Coordinator of Sports Excellence: Panagiotis Koulouvaris (Assistant Professor)